Protecting your Home
Murphy’s Law when traveling: “Anything that can go wrong will go wrong, while you’re traveling away from home”. Having to return from a memorable trip to learn that something has seriously gone wrong at home can be distressing. But following is a list of essential tips that will allow you to be stress free while you sit back and enjoy your getaway!
- Keep curtains open!
You may think that leaving the curtains closed may prevent others from peeking inside your home. However, it is recommended that you leave some of your curtains opened (make sure to keep expensive items out of sight). If your curtains are unusually closed for a long period of time it could become obvious that no one is home.
- Keep lights on or off?
Leaving the lights on in your home while you’re away may end up costing you more than your mortgage! It is recommended that you purchase an automatic light switch timer so that your lights will switch on and off at certain times during the day/night making it appear as though someone is actually home.
- Pull the plug!
It is recommended that you unplug all appliances including, your TV, toaster oven, etc. while you’re away. This may help prevent a power surge which can cause a fire hazard.
This applies to those that reside in very cold regions. Pipes may be in danger of freezing so it is recommended that you have someone check in on your faucets while you’re away. If very little to no water comes out when turning the faucets on this is an indication that the pipes may be frozen! Take the time to make sure your pipes are properly insulated to avoid this from happening. Finally, show your key-holder (friend/neighbor) the location of the water main shut-off in case a pipe breaks.
These preventative measures only take a few minutes to complete and can help you keep your home safe from broken pipes(flood hazard), home invasions(property loss/damage), power surges(fire hazard), and more in your absence. In the event that you suffer a loss such as these, please do not hesitate to contact SERVPRO for all of your restoration needs!
Protect Your Home From Leaks
Now that fall is officially here, it is time to prepare your home and/or business for cold and rainy weather. But keeping water out of your property can be quite complicated. For example; plumbing issues can cause moisture and even light rain can cause leaks through the roof, walls, foundation etc. When this occurs the moisture eventually reaches the porous materials in your home, which may then lead to structural damage and other humidity concerns. It is important to note that if left untreated you also run the risk of mold growth. For these reasons it is highly recommended that you take proper care of any and all potential areas prone to leaks such as the following;
- Inspection of the plumbing pipe(s) system
- Inspection of the roof/chimney
- Inspection of the water heater
- Check attic insulation
- Clean the gutters
- Repair any cracks
- Seal proof doors and windows
- Check exterior faucets and irrigation system
After all, “An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure”. However, in the event that you encounter any leaks or flooding occurs, please contact SERVPRO of Wilshire center. We specialize in helping property owners recover from water damage and make it "Like it never even happened."
Smoke And Soot Clean Up
Smoke and soot are very invasive and can indulge it's self in various cavities within your home. which causes hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and Soot Facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different types of smoke:
-Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
-Fast burning, High temperature, Heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services:
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Common Causes of Fires
Fires can start unexpectedly, but taking precautionary measures can decrease the risks of a fire on your property. Some of the most common causes of fires include; cooking, candles, heating equipment, fire places, electrical appliances, smoking, flammable liquids, Christmas trees, etc. to name a few. The number one leading causes of fires are related to cooking. Following is a list of some helpful tips that may assist in the prevention of fires on your property;
- Never leave a stove top in use unattended
- Use a cooking timer
- Keep any & all kitchen surfaces (including ceiling) free from grease build up
- Place heaters at a safe distance away from flammable materials & disconnect when not in use
- Avoid plugging in too many electrical appliances into one extension cord
- Keep candles away from curtains, decorations and other combustibles, and make sure candle holders are stable or simply use battery operated candles
- If possible, smoke outside. If you smoke inside, avoid doing so when tired/sleepy, and use large and deep ashtrays
- Keep flammable liquids in approved containers and away from electrical and heat sources. If possible, store them outside in a well-ventilated area.
- Use decorative lights that have been inspected by an independent testing laboratory. In addition, replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections
- Install smoke alarms
- Install carbon monoxide detectors
- Install a fire sprinkler system
- Install a fire extinguisher
We urge you to take all of these tips into consideration in order to prevent fires on your property. For professional fire and restoration services, please contact SERVPRO of Wilshire Center
Water Damage Restoration
Water damage can happen under many different circumstances, but the worst ones are those that occur because of harm to the exterior of the home during a storm. Trees and even downed power line poles can cause extreme damage to your home, and allow water to enter. This water can create hazards immediately. Even after the danger has passed from electric shock, water can seep throughout your home, creating the right conditions for future damage to develop.
Unresolved Water from Storms can Create Future Problems through Water Damage
When water damage affects your home water damage may appear slowly. While you may have noticed the water on the exterior surfaces on the interior of your home, as on walls and floors, water may have settled on the interiors of these structures. Walls made of drywall can crumble after being saturated with water and allowed to dry naturally. Water left on drywall weakens it considerably, even if the damage is not visible. Hardwood floors and stairwells made of wood can buckle, causing carpeting to become rumpled and hazardous.
In addition to these issues, mold can also begin to grow within 48 hours, only two days, from the time the water was deposited by the storm. We can pack up your belongings for removal to a dry location so we can clean and sort through them. Sorting involves categorizing salvageable and non-salvageable items, with unsalvageable ones being listed (CCIS) on an inventory sheet for your insurance needs.
We Know How to Prevent Future Problems in Your Home's Structure
In addition to cleaning your belongings and restoring those we can to their original state, we can also set up equipment that is designed to prevent mold from getting a foothold in your home. Water extraction to dry those structures that have become saturated by storm and rain water, in addition to drying heaters and high-powered air circulation fans will stop mold from growing. If water were allowed to stand for extended periods of time, as is common when there are major storm cells passing through an area, we would use additional types of equipment. These can include air scrubbers that will remove any mold (spores) that has already begun to spread throughout your home. If your heating or air conditioning unit ran during this time, we highly recommend that we scrape the interior of your ducts and then vacuum the debris away with our HEPA vacuums. We want to get your home back to pre-damage condition, “Like it never even happened,” so you and your family can get back to your normal routines.
If you own a home that has been damaged by storms or suffered other types of water damage, please call SERVPRO of Wilshire Center at (213) 263-2292. We are available 24/7 to assist you. We respond quickly and can answer any questions you have about your particular situation.
Water Damage is not a DIY job
Despite the magazines, television shows, and internet articles that may have you thinking otherwise, water damage restoration is a job that should only be performed by certified professionals. SERVPRO of Wilshire Center technicians not only have the know-how to get the job done right, but they also have the specialized tools needed to thoroughly dry your home, preventing further damage and even mold.
Additional benefits of hiring a professional water damage restoration company:
- Health Hazards: Depending on the source of the water damage, safety can become a concern. There are three varying degrees of water damage, ranging from clean water to black water, each more hazardous than the next. Black water, the most dangerous of the three, is water that has come into contact with fecal matter, a haven for harmful bacteria and disease-causing pathogens.
- Hidden Damage: Water damage is not always obvious. Sometimes it is found inside walls and under flooring. If you attempt a DIY restoration and fail to diagnose hidden damage, the resulting issues could be extreme…and expensive.
- Peace of Mind: Hiring a professional restoration company gives you the peace of mind knowing you have done everything in your power to rectify the situation.
Storm in LA
After a storm here in Los Angeles everything floods. There is nothing we can do about it. From the roads not draining to buildings being flooded. It is going to happen. Restaurants that are on the ground level, inches away from the elements of nature are subject to getting water damage due to the floods going under the doors. Over time water finds itself inside your business. Restaurants need special care because of the food industry laws. When the floors start to mold and the dry wall starts to get soft you should call SERVPRO right away. SERVPRO has years of experience dealing with restaurants and the health laws. If your food letter grade goes down, call SERVPRO today and we will make sure everything is back "Like it never even happened."
When you encounter flooding SERVPRO has some procedures we recommend doing. First off before even beginning this process you should assess whether it's even safe to stay in the home, are their electrical poles that have fallen from the flooding that have direct contact with your home? Also note that water is very heavy, one gallon of water weighs 8.345 pounds. Don't overexert yourself trying to move furniture because wet furniture is a lot heavier than you would think. We recommend attempting to remove excess water by mopping, wiping excess water from wood furniture, remove wet upholstery and cushions, turn on A/C for maximum drying, remove colored rugs so dyes don't bleed and remove art objects and personal possessions with sentimental value. We also encourage people to NOT leave wet fabrics in place, don't leave books or other colored items on wet carpet or floors, don't use a household vacuum to remove water and don't use household appliances or ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet.
Commercial Clean up
This retail store was affected by the recent back to back storms that hit Southern California. The water leaked into the ceiling and affected a large portion of it inside the showcase area. The store owner was concerned with how much down time it would take to restore their property, as they would be out of business during that time period. However, our emergency service crew was able to complete the job in only 5 days. SERVPRO strives to provide all of our customers with high quality service every time! We care about our clients and work endlessly to get your business back up and running as soon as physically possible. Our Team of experts will work professionally and efficiently day and night to make it "Like it never even happened."
We all know storms and lightning are a massive and scary force of nature, but how powerful are they exactly? Let’s find out with some fun facts about the power of hurricanes and storms.
- The lightning in a storm is an enormous amount of electricity, if you crunch the numbers it averages out to around 10 billion watts! That’s enough power to sustain a small towns electricity for a whole day.
- The previous fact was about a single bolt of lightning, now listen to the energy produced by a hurricane. The average hurricane, meaning not even a large one, can produce more energy than the whole planet uses every day many times over, to put that into perspective that’s around the same power as 10 thousand atomic bombs!
- Now you may wonder, what happens if im struck by lightning? Well most times it is fatal to be struck by lightning but there have been reported cases of people surviving being struck by lightning and surviving, even cases of people being struck multiple times throughout their lives! What are the chances of that?