Water Damage Restoration
Water damage can happen under many different circumstances, but the worst ones are those that occur because of harm to the exterior of the home during a storm. Trees and even downed power line poles can cause extreme damage to your home, and allow water to enter. This water can create hazards immediately. Even after the danger has passed from electric shock, water can seep throughout your home, creating the right conditions for future damage to develop.
Unresolved Water from Storms can Create Future Problems through Water Damage
When water damage affects your home water damage may appear slowly. While you may have noticed the water on the exterior surfaces on the interior of your home, as on walls and floors, water may have settled on the interiors of these structures. Walls made of drywall can crumble after being saturated with water and allowed to dry naturally. Water left on drywall weakens it considerably, even if the damage is not visible. Hardwood floors and stairwells made of wood can buckle, causing carpeting to become rumpled and hazardous.
In addition to these issues, mold can also begin to grow within 48 hours, only two days, from the time the water was deposited by the storm. We can pack up your belongings for removal to a dry location so we can clean and sort through them. Sorting involves categorizing salvageable and non-salvageable items, with unsalvageable ones being listed (CCIS) on an inventory sheet for your insurance needs.
We Know How to Prevent Future Problems in Your Home's Structure
In addition to cleaning your belongings and restoring those we can to their original state, we can also set up equipment that is designed to prevent mold from getting a foothold in your home. Water extraction to dry those structures that have become saturated by storm and rain water, in addition to drying heaters and high-powered air circulation fans will stop mold from growing. If water were allowed to stand for extended periods of time, as is common when there are major storm cells passing through an area, we would use additional types of equipment. These can include air scrubbers that will remove any mold (spores) that has already begun to spread throughout your home. If your heating or air conditioning unit ran during this time, we highly recommend that we scrape the interior of your ducts and then vacuum the debris away with our HEPA vacuums. We want to get your home back to pre-damage condition, “Like it never even happened,” so you and your family can get back to your normal routines.
If you own a home that has been damaged by storms or suffered other types of water damage, please call SERVPRO of Wilshire Center at (213) 263-2292. We are available 24/7 to assist you. We respond quickly and can answer any questions you have about your particular situation.
Water Damage is not a DIY job
Despite the magazines, television shows, and internet articles that may have you thinking otherwise, water damage restoration is a job that should only be performed by certified professionals. SERVPRO of Wilshire Center technicians not only have the know-how to get the job done right, but they also have the specialized tools needed to thoroughly dry your home, preventing further damage and even mold.
Additional benefits of hiring a professional water damage restoration company:
- Health Hazards: Depending on the source of the water damage, safety can become a concern. There are three varying degrees of water damage, ranging from clean water to black water, each more hazardous than the next. Black water, the most dangerous of the three, is water that has come into contact with fecal matter, a haven for harmful bacteria and disease-causing pathogens.
- Hidden Damage: Water damage is not always obvious. Sometimes it is found inside walls and under flooring. If you attempt a DIY restoration and fail to diagnose hidden damage, the resulting issues could be extreme…and expensive.
- Peace of Mind: Hiring a professional restoration company gives you the peace of mind knowing you have done everything in your power to rectify the situation.
Storm in LA
After a storm here in Los Angeles everything floods. There is nothing we can do about it. From the roads not draining to buildings being flooded. It is going to happen. Restaurants that are on the ground level, inches away from the elements of nature are subject to getting water damage due to the floods going under the doors. Over time water finds itself inside your business. Restaurants need special care because of the food industry laws. When the floors start to mold and the dry wall starts to get soft you should call SERVPRO right away. SERVPRO has years of experience dealing with restaurants and the health laws. If your food letter grade goes down, call SERVPRO today and we will make sure everything is back "Like it never even happened."
When you encounter flooding SERVPRO has some procedures we recommend doing. First off before even beginning this process you should assess whether it's even safe to stay in the home, are their electrical poles that have fallen from the flooding that have direct contact with your home? Also note that water is very heavy, one gallon of water weighs 8.345 pounds. Don't overexert yourself trying to move furniture because wet furniture is a lot heavier than you would think. We recommend attempting to remove excess water by mopping, wiping excess water from wood furniture, remove wet upholstery and cushions, turn on A/C for maximum drying, remove colored rugs so dyes don't bleed and remove art objects and personal possessions with sentimental value. We also encourage people to NOT leave wet fabrics in place, don't leave books or other colored items on wet carpet or floors, don't use a household vacuum to remove water and don't use household appliances or ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet.
Commercial Clean up
This retail store was affected by the recent back to back storms that hit Southern California. The water leaked into the ceiling and affected a large portion of it inside the showcase area. The store owner was concerned with how much down time it would take to restore their property, as they would be out of business during that time period. However, our emergency service crew was able to complete the job in only 5 days. SERVPRO strives to provide all of our customers with high quality service every time! We care about our clients and work endlessly to get your business back up and running as soon as physically possible. Our Team of experts will work professionally and efficiently day and night to make it "Like it never even happened."
We all know storms and lightning are a massive and scary force of nature, but how powerful are they exactly? Let’s find out with some fun facts about the power of hurricanes and storms.
- The lightning in a storm is an enormous amount of electricity, if you crunch the numbers it averages out to around 10 billion watts! That’s enough power to sustain a small towns electricity for a whole day.
- The previous fact was about a single bolt of lightning, now listen to the energy produced by a hurricane. The average hurricane, meaning not even a large one, can produce more energy than the whole planet uses every day many times over, to put that into perspective that’s around the same power as 10 thousand atomic bombs!
- Now you may wonder, what happens if im struck by lightning? Well most times it is fatal to be struck by lightning but there have been reported cases of people surviving being struck by lightning and surviving, even cases of people being struck multiple times throughout their lives! What are the chances of that?
Water and Humidity
Water and humidity are one of the many enemies of a home, acting as a catalyst for mold growth and overall damage to a home. Here are some measures you can take to ensure your home or property aren’t damaged by water, rain, or humidity.
- Waterproofing Materials - If a home is older or has problems with structural integrity, simple rainfall could spell disaster in the form of water damage and mold. A simple fix to consider is waterproofing materials that are made for the walls and roofs of homes that ensure your home or property is water tight and dry.
- Appliances - Many water damage scenarios are caused by faulty appliances and hardware, to counteract this simply check and ensure that all appliances that use water and pipes such as washers and showers are properly functioning without any leaks.
- Water detection - In severe cases you might want to install water and humidity detection devices in your property, these devices will notify you if the humidity levels in your home are where they should be ensuring you know of any potential water damage and deal with the issue properly before it becomes more serious.
Water vs Concrete
We know how damaging water can be, but we may not know the extent to which water can damage homes, properties, and materials. Many homes have previously experiences with water damage, but did you know water can even soak and damage concrete? For example, a flooding basement can damage the concrete foundation of a home if left to stand for too long, damaging the structural integrity of a home. Now you can imagine if water can damage concrete like this you can imagine what it can do to softer and more vulnerable materials such as wood or drywall. The reason water damages so many materials is all about chemistry, water is a universal solvent, this means that water can dissolve almost any material given time. This is the reason that acting quickly when it comes to water damage is very important.
At SERVPRO, we’re people’s people, as a company that is in the business of making sure that people's homes and businesses get back to normal after a disaster we understand how stressful an event such as a fire or flood can be, disrupting your personal and professional lives. For this reason we are open 24/7, 365 days a year to ensure that you can rest easy knowing you can always call us in case of a restoration emergency. Now that we are in a new year, our resolution is to help even more people, homes, and businesses than ever before. You can even help us accomplish this goal and protect yourself at the same time by utilizing our emergency readiness. Call SERVPRO today.
A Good History
When considering a restoration company for your home or property you may not know what to choose and why to make that choice. Here at SERVPRO we make your choice simple, we have everything we need to provide our customers and clients to choose us every time. A great example of this is our hardware and equipment. SERVPRO has the widest range of up to date restoration equipment of any restoration company. Our equipment is also constantly updated ensuring we are always using the best tools for the job. Aside from our equipment, we have the best tract record of any restoration company with many decades of proven and quality work with many franchises in every US state. We are happy to uphold the standard of service that our clients have always been happy with, and hope to even improve!